Monday, July 25, 2011

30-Day Challenge: Intermittent Fasting

In the last few months I have been reading and studying a lot about fasting and more specifically about intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting is a simple technique to obtain good health. I have already written about intermittent fasting in this blog and have practice it periodically always reverting back to eating 4-5 times a day. Now, I am going to try to incorporate intermittent fasting more frequently in my life, more of as a lifestyle. Intermittent fasting has numerous advantages over a conventional way of eating (3,4,5 –times a day). For one thing, intermittent fasting produces weight-loss almost without effort.

I also was able to stumble upon a very interesting blog written by Mary Jaksch. The blog is called Goodlife Zen. One of her post titled: "What Do You Want to Change in the Next 30 Days?" (The link is reported at the end of his post) has an interesting 3-minute video about a way to change habits (add positive or eliminate negatives). It is based on the idea that Psychology research has established that new habits take about 30 days to settle in. It would be great if you watch that video.

So, I decided to take my first 30-Day Challenge. That is to use Intermittent Fasting for optimal health. This is in line with my newly found philosophy about health that I am trying to spread with my blog: getting in optimal health should be simple, not confusing, not complicated. Intermittent fasting is easy: you just abstain of eating for a certain period of time. You can and should drink a lot of liquid, but no calories at all.

This is what I am going to do for the next 30 days: Abstainfrom eating from 9 pm to 1:00 pm of the next day (that is 16 hours of fast) and then eat from 1:00 pm to 9 pm. (this has to be done every day for the next 30 days) I will probably eat 3 times during the 8-hour window. I will report once a week about this challenge and tell you about my thoughts. Hope you like it!! And please leave your comment........

Since I am interested in losing weight, I figure I have to report my initial state (as of July 22nd, 2011):

Weight: 96 Kilos (211.2 pounds). Yes, I am obese!!
Waist: 46 in, 117 cm
Waist to Hip ratio: 67%

"Sometimes the greatest ideas were quite simple."
-Blue Balliett


Rafael

Links:
What Do You Want to Change in the Next 30 Days?
(http://goodlifezen.com/2011/07/08/what-do-you-want-to-change-in-the-next-30-days/)
Try something new for 30 days:
http://www.ted.com/talks/matt_cutts_try_something_new_for_30_days.html?

5 comments:

  1. If you want to lose weight, you should consider a healthier way. I have helped many people and this program works. Take a look at my website and watch some of the videos: www.cleanseandbewell.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw your comment on ted.com about this 30 day challenge. I've been doing Intermittent Fasting for 11 months now, and I've maintained the same weight since I started. It's a great life style, much better than worrying about eating 5-6 times a day.

    I recommend reading www.leangains.com (that is if you haven't already).

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Georgi...Nice to see your approach to good health is working out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way I havve not lost weight while fasting intermittently. Any explanation.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FOR ANYONE NOW VIEWING THIS AND NEED HELP

      Intermittent fasting is not going to help you lose weight, eating healthily is. This style of fasting is made to help people who are already moderately fit and have experience controlling their hunger.I personally strongly suggest eating smaller portions of healthy food (veggies, lean meats, poultry, etc) and hitting the gym with a two day on, one day off routine for two to three months with mainly just high intensity resistance training. You should only be able to workout for 30mins- 45mins max if you do this correctly. This will help you get a lot fitter and control your hunger if you eat properly and then do intermittent fasting- you make a tone of improvements to your health and start to look 100% leaner.

      If you are already healthy and hitting the gym that's great, you can already begin your fast.

      Good luck to everyone and I hope everything worked out well for you, Rafael B.

      Delete